So, you’re thinking about a career change in the trucking industry. That’s great! However, if you are thinking about getting your CDL, there are several medical conditions and medications that could prevent you from doing so without further evaluation or complete removal from your body.
If you take any of these medications, you may want to think twice before taking the CDL exam because the Medical Expert Panel (MEP) believes anyone taking these medications should be prohibited from driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV).
- Benzodiazepine medications
- Alprazolam – Xanax or Xanor
- Bromazepam – Lexotan or Lexomil
- Chlordiazepoxide – Librium or Tropium
- Clobazam – Frisium
- Clonazepam – Klonopin, Klonapin, Rivotril, or Liktorivil
- Clorazepate – Tranxene
- Diazepam – Valium, Apzepam, or Stesolid
- Estazolam – ProSom
- Flunitrazepam – Rohypnol, Fluscand
- Flurazepam – Dalmane
- Halazepam – Paxipam
- Ketazolam – Anxon
- Loprazolam – Dormonoct
- Lorazepam – Ativan or Temesta
- Lormetazepam – Noctamid
- Medazepam – Nobrium
- Nitrazepam – Mogadon or Apodorm
- Oxazepam – Serax, Serenid, Serepax, Sobril, or Oxascand
- Prazepam – Centrax
- Quazepam – Doral
- Temazepam – Restoril, Normison, or Euhypnos
- Triazolam – Halcion
- Non-benzodiazepine medications with similar effects
- Zaleplon – Sonata
- Zolpidem – Ambien or Stilnoct
- Zopiclone – Zimovane, Imovane, or Zopiklon
- Eszopeclone – Lunesta
Those taking benzodiazepine for any amount of time should wait before the system is cleared of these drugs before they drive, and if they are chronic users, they are recommended to wait another week after the system has been cleared of the drug to make sure the drug is completely out of the system.
The MEP also believes any individual with the following medical disorders be further evaluated before they are even considered to be able to drive a CMV:
- Psychotic Disorders
- Bipolar Disorders
- Major Depressive Disorder
- with history of psychosis, suicidal ideation, homicidal ideation or a suicide attempt
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Antisocial Personality Disorder
Also, if you suffer from depression or anxiety, you may be disqualified from obtaining a CDL.
At Roeder Cartage, our goal is to make sure our drivers and future drivers are always safe and informed about the road ahead. If you have considered a career in trucking or are looking for a change, make sure to consider a position at our company. You can apply today on our website and get things rolling.
(Source: CDL Life. For more information on how certain medical conditions affect driving, visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website to read the official reports.)